Keeping Your Pets Safe this Halloween

Keeping Your Pets Safe this Halloween

Happy October!  As you’re decorating your house and figuring our your (and your furry friend’s) costume for this year, there are a few things you should keep in mind to keep your companions safe this Halloween.

Chocolate Ingestion

I think the majority of us can agree that chocolate is delicious, and if you go trick-or-treating or have a bowl of candy at your own house likely a large portion of it will be chocolate!  Well, your dog agrees and may not hesitate to help himself.  Chocolate can cause severe toxicity in dogs.  If your dog ingests chocolate, you should contact your veterinarian, an emergency veterinarian, or Animal Poison Control [(888)426-4435] right away to see if they have ingestion a dangerous amount.  Signs of chocolate toxicity can include diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, tremors, and seizures.  If you notice any abnormal signs from your dog, you should seek veterinary attention right away.

Xylitol

Xylitol is a sugar substitute sweetener commonly used in types of sugar free gum, candy, and foods.  It is also now found in many types of peanut butter.  If ingested, it can cause a severe drop in blood sugar, liver damage, and even liver failure.  Again, if you know your pet ingested anything with xylitol in it, you should contact your veterinarian, an emergency veterinarian, or Animal Poison Control [(888)426-4435] right away.

Fear and Anxiety

Halloween is supposed to be fun and spooky for us, but it can actually be quite terrifying to our pets.  They do not understand why a bunch of children are ringing their doorbell dressed in weird outfits.  We recommend that you keep your pet inside and if needed, in a separate room from the front door so they cannot escape if they get very scared.  Make sure they have collars and identification tags on them just in case they do.

Advertisements